Why your shoppers leave empty handed
October 30, 2014
Do you know why your shoppers leave empty handed?
In 2014, TimeTrade surveyed 1000 consumers. Of those 1000, at least half said they go shopping before they know what they’re going to buy. Interestingly, out of those 500 indecisive shoppers, 90% of shoppers leave empty handed for one reason only. Here are their survey results.
Top survey findings
- 93% can’t always find the right person to help
- 90% leave empty handed when they can’t find the right person
- 93% are more likely to buy when helped by a knowledgeable associate
- 85% buy more when helped by a knowledgeable associate
- 84% would leave more satisfied, and 90% would shop with them next time
Are you missing the mark?
With today’s ability to research online, you’d think consumers rarely shop without knowing exactly what to buy. Clearly, that’s not the case. According to the study, “Consumers are walking into retail stores expecting to get fast, smart guidance while they shop.” If over half of consumers have not made a buying decision before they begin shopping, there’s a huge opportunity for higher sales. This is particularly true for consignment and resale shops. Because your inventory is unique and one-of-a-kind, shoppers come needing even more suggestions. Are your salespeople knowledgeable about your merchandise? Do they know about your most recent items? Have they been thoroughly trained to up-sell merchandise? If not, read “3 sure fire consignment cross-selling and upselling tips.”Are they willing and eager to engage the shoppers who walk through the door? If you answer “no” to any of these questions, you’re missing the mark and most likely, shoppers leave empty handed.
Another survey stated, “According to the 60 major retailers Time Trade surveyed…80% noted that sales increase by 25-50% when shoppers are assisted by knowledgeable retail associates.” It’s nothing new, personal attention and fast service are what today’s shoppers are looking for.
When asked what the ideal retail sales associate would be like, here’s what survey respondents said:
- Smart. Shoppers want “on-target recommendations.” Knowledge of the merchandise and a shopper’s lifestyle.
- Fast. Sales Associates need to be on the ball and able to understand what the shopper is looking for and where to find it.
- Mobile-Enabled. Shoppers want tailored guidance so being aware of their previous buying habits is a must.
I have been a writer for various forms of marketing for over 40 years. I've written my share of radio and TV scripts, magazine and newspaper ads as well as direct mail brochures and newsletters. Currently, as the Marketing Coordinator for Traxia, home of SimpleConsign software, I've moved into blog posts, eBooks and website text. It's been an ever changing and ever challenging journey but I've loved it all along the way.
Receive tips, how-to guides, and moreYes Please!